Candle Care

Key Candle Safety Notes

  • Candles can cause fires
  • Remove all packaging and labels before burning and place on a heatproof surface
  • Never leave lit candles unattended
  • Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire
  • Keep candles out of reach of children, pets, soft furnishing and flammable materials
  • Trim candle wick to 5mm each time before burning
  • Keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times
  • Keep lit candles away from drafts, vents, ceiling fans and air currents
  • Do not burn for more than 4 hours at any one time
  • Discontinue use when 5mm of wax remains in the container
  • Extinguish a candle if it repeatedly smokes, flickers, or the flame becomes too high
  • If water gets onto the surface of the candle, make sure it is completely removed before lighting as water causes the flame to spark and crackle
  • Never use a candle as a night light.

The First Burn

It is important to get the first burn right as the wax pool that is created from the first burn will be the wax pool you get each subsequent time you burn your candle. Burn your candle for a maximum of 4 hours per session and a minimum time to ensure the wax pool gets as close to the edge of the container as possible. Do not burn your candle for ‘short’ periods of time as this can cause the candle to 'tunnel'.

How to Extinguish Your Candle Correctly

Blowing out a candle out can cause hot liquid wax to go onto surrounding surfaces. Always use a ’Wick Dipper’ to push the lighted wick into the wax pool. Once the flame is extinguished, use the dipper to return the wick to an upright position. Alternatively use a ‘Candle Snuffer; to extinguish the flame by starving it of oxygen for several seconds.
N.B. Always make sure all candles are completely out before leaving the room.